Saturday, October 11, 2014

Hoi An Motorbike

I spent most of my youth on a motorbike riding up and down the fields of Lylehill, so I was very excited when I found Hoi An Motorbike Adventures on TripAdvisor. They offer day trips on old Minsk motorbikes. We opted for the Mountains and Delta Explorer, a 150km ride into the mountains and through the Thu Bon river delta. It's been a long time since I've ridden a bike, so I was a bit nervous, but I suppose it's "just like riding a bike" and memories came back straight away.



I found the guide, Duncan, delivered the right balance of stopping at a few historical sights and giving us some historical information, as well as just having fun on these old bikes! There were a few occasions when some black smoke appeared from these relics but we had a support crew keeping an eye on us and these guys knew every inch of the bike inside out. 








One of the more interesting sections of the ride was boarding a river boat to cross a river. Basically, as the bikes loaded, the boat moved along the jetty allowing more and more bikes to join. By the time the boat departed there must have been 20 or 30 bikes stacked in a row on this boat!



These bikes could also double up as a bed when a rest was needed




I have to say crossing this floating bridge had me holding my breath. The interesting part is that when a boat needs to pass by, they simply un tie one end of the bridge and let it float down parallel to the banks. Once the boat passes, they pull the bridge back across and tie it up. Sometimes the simple things in life, work best. 





Overall this was one of the highlights of my trip and the saddle sores in my backside were well worth the grin I was left with.

No comments:

Post a Comment